We all know the pressure of planning a kid's birthday party.
Friends, neighbors, and maybe even the whole pre-k class will be attending!
You want everyone to have. an amazing time, and for everything to go smoothly!
Well, first, mama, take a deep breath. Remember that you don't have to be perfect.
You don't have to be superwoman or have pinterest-perfect decorations for it to be the best party ever.
This party is all about your little one and making them feel special and loved.
And trust me, they will remember the experiences more than the gifts or expensive party decorations or favors. They'll look back and treasure these birthdays surrounded by friends and family.
Below are 3 top mistakes made when party planning that can make it more stressful than it has to be!
Avoid these things and you're already on the right track to a successful party!
1. Waiting until the last minute
I know, I know. You're busy! You'll just plan something small. You (oops) forgot it was even so soon!
Well, mamas, I too enjoy the dangerous life of procrastinating up until the last second.
However, with children's birthday parties - especially if you want all your guests to be able to attend, to coordinate a venue, and to book an entertainer- last minute just doesn't work.
So here's what I suggest from my years of party planning:
1. Make a party plan. About 3 months in advance, it's a good idea to start thinking about themes, looking at pinterest party inspiration, and write out a to-do list with a time goal. An online birthday party planner like this one can be really helpful to keep you on track!
2. Send your birthday party invitations out on time. At least one month in advance is best - two months is preferable! This is so so important if you want all of your favorite people to be able to attend your party!
3. Go ahead and book your party entertainment the moment you decide you'd like to have them at the party. DJs, Magicians, and yes, Princess Party entertainers often book up several months in advance.
Especially if your little one MUST have Rapunzel, and your date is not flexible, then booking sooner rather than later is recommended! So they don't miss out on that specific character. Luckily, most entertainers will only need a small deposit to save your date and you don't have to worry about paying the balance until the day of the party!
P.S. If you're not ready to book, but you just want to make sure that the princess character is available on your party date, you can always use our free, no-obligation request form!
2. Not having party activities planned
You've got all the food, princess decorations, all of your guests have arrived... now what?
A big component that is easy to overlook is the party entertainment and kid's activities.
Letting the children free play the whole time will no doubt end up in chaos, running, fighting, boredom... and the dreaded pre-nap meltdown!
Be sure to come up with some ways to entertain the children to make it a stress-free, structured, and memorable party.
Some great ideas are:
1. Create a scavenger hunt. Hide themed objects all over the house and have the kids find them all for a prize. Pro Tip: contain it to one room or give certain rules (ie all objects will be in plain sight - no moving things is required) to keep it from getting messy or out of control.
2. Set up a princess craft. These DIY wands are cheap and easy birthday party craft perfect for any princess party.
3. Hire someone to do it for you!
Luckily, if you've hired Joy's Princess Parties as entertainment, you don't have to work as hard or plan anything!
In fact, with Joy's Princess Parties, we highly suggest to all of our party mamas that you don't plan any activities while the princess is there - because she will keep the children engaged with our nonstop activities - stories, songs, makeovers, & more! - from the moment she arrives at your party until she twirls back to her kingdom! All you have to do is sit back and take adorable photos and videos!
Let us take the stress of entertaining the kids!
3. Not enjoying the moment
Yes, I thought about writing more about finding party pinterest inspiration, or posting more crazy expensive outlandish diy photobooths, etc.
But honestly, you don't need any of those to make a great party.
And the truth is, the biggest mistake I see parents make... is not enjoying the party that they planned for their child.
Moms, give yourself a break. Be sure you take a moment - or heck, the whole party - just watching your child's face as they get spoiled with love and attention. Give them extra hugs and kisses and remind yourself that you are doing the best you can and that is more than enough.
Don't be afraid to ask friends and family to help with running the party, cutting the cake, etc. on the day so you can spend more time with your little one. Things may go wrong, cups may spill, someone might cry... and that's okay too!
This party is for you, too. A day to celebrate your little mini-me and what a great job you've done raising them so far.
You got this, mama!
For more princess birthday party ideas & princess fun, be sure to follow us on Facebook & Instagram!
Love & Wishes,
Joy's Princess Parties NYC
Magical Princess Entertainment right here in NYC